Aerodynamics: “the New Black for Spring 2012″ (aka the Kardashians passing wind)

Each generation MotoCzysz has had one overriding priority that we place above all others. Never has the priority been to build a cheaper motorcycle or an easier to assemble motorcycle but to always build a faster motorcycle. 

Design Briefs

• In 2009 the goal was simple- build an electric bike… and we barely accomplished that.  Although we had the most energy and torque, we had the least knowledge.
  • In 2010 we focused on an integrated electric drive system; we debuted the MotoCzysz D1g1tal Dr1ve.
  • In 2011 we focused on better handling dynamics and very purposefully, suspension; we debuted a twin spar CF frame (with flex), CF oval front forks and a F1 style push rod suspension.
  • For 2012 we focused on overall vehicle and system efficiency; we will debut possibly the most aerodynamic road racing motorcycle to date.

By 2012 we were capable of building an eGrand Prix machine with sufficient torque/HP, handling and reliability, so what was next? More- for longer.  Adding range is simple, add more batteries or… do more with less!  Racing, the automotive industry and the world in general desperately need to recalibrate from using more to using less- more efficiently.  Nowhere is this more critical than when creating an electric racing machine.

More than 80% of the energy on the E1pc is used simply to push air and the faster you go the more energy it takes, a lot more.  If your latest eGP bike just completed a 100MPH run and you wanted to design one to achieve 125MPH run you would have to double the size of your battery.  To double is a huge number, add another box 2′x2′x1.5′ in size and +200lbs in weight -or- you could try to move less air.  If we could achieve 25% less drag (a very, very difficult achievement) we could reach our 125MPH target with no extra battery.

Aerodynamics vs Dustbin

In 2010 I posted a blog in response to the recent rule change that allowed for dustbin fairings

Part 1 http://club.motoczysz.com/?p=453

It sparked off quit a controversy, so I posted a follow up

Part 2 http://club.motoczysz.com/?p=473

The post was pro aerodynamics but not via dustbin fairings.  The main points being that a dustbin design was regressive, dangerous and primarily dealt with the wrong end of the problem. In January of this year I decided (a little reluctantly) to take on the challenge, the reluctance was vain and centered around the goal to create the most beautiful MotoCzysz motorcycle to date, I knew this would no longer be possible if aerodynamics were a priority.

Ugly Aerodynamics

What is needed to create an aerodynamic motorcycle is in direct contrast with the current fashion trend of motorcycle design. Think less RC8/RSV4R tail and more… well every bad “futuristic” concept bike you saw in the 80′s tail. Think less Olsen twins tail and more Kim and Khloe Kardashian tail.  Want more speed? Add some Kris Jenner tail in too.

The disappointment is that eMotos could take the current trend and deliver on it like no ICE motorcycle is capable of. Remove extraneous conflicts like exhaust pipes, large radiators, etc. and you can sculpt haute couture.

However, real motorcycle beauty is ultimately defined by performance and success. If MotoCzysz can yet again lead the competition over the mountain then I think we will have defined the “new black.”

The Balance

A GP motorcycle with its significant travel/pitch, roll angles and constantly moving rider is a very dynamic vehicle and far more difficult to apply aerodynamic aids to than say, a formula car. However, unlike formula one, our pursuit was simply focused on drag and did not need to also include down force. In fact, it is the intent of our design that all the aero manipulation result in no significant force applied to the chassis; practically this is impossible.  By accelerating air past the skin of the bike we also create low pressure. If the same amount of air can pass an opposing  but equal cross-section of surface area at the same speed then the added forces are counteracted and neutralized. Thus, riding directly parallel to the direction of wind – everything is perfect, however if the wind shifts or the road bends, an imbalance will occur and a side force will be imposed. This is the risk of streamlining and the real danger of the dustbin.

Beauty is more than skin deep

The original design for the C1 had a ducted radiator system, though very difficult to implement in the constraints of an ICE motorcycle. I have always believed this was a worthwhile pursuit. The 012E1pc takes this concept to another level with body panels that ram air and vacuum assist the entire cooling process. MotoCzysz has spent as much effort on how the air flows thru the bike as around, the result is a cooling system that looks more like an intercooler from the space shuttle than for a motorcycle.

The Real Test

Like always MotoCzysz will bring these ideas and others to the IOM, the ultimate real world test, to see if they have any value. If successful these solved problems rise upwards and expose the next ‘low hanging fruit’ and next year’s priority.

Godspeed Mark Miller and Michael Rutter as they go places on equipment at speeds no man before them ever has, and we can’t wait to watch and see the results.

-MC

21 Responses to “Aerodynamics: “the New Black for Spring 2012″ (aka the Kardashians passing wind)”

1. Tyler says:

I soulful just like to wish you guys the best of luck, and also ask when I can buy my electric bike. ;)

Go get that 100mph lap.

2. p says:

Fascinating. Hopefully Miller or Rutter, one of these two can ride those Kardashian sisters to a 100mph lap

3. Matt Hubbell says:

BABY”S GOT BACK – Oh yea Dady likes!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reTx5sqvVJ4

4. Jim Race says:

GREAT read, Michael…

-jim

5. [...] now have bikes in the TTXGP?  And MotoCzysz has been teasing the new bikes a bit (great blog post here).  But at this point I’m of the feeling that there is no use in getting excited and worked [...]

6. [...] conditions of the iconic street circuit. For 2012, the emphasis has been put on aerodynamics. Czysz explains that turning a 100-mile-per-hour run into, say, a 125-mph excursion would require a doubling of the [...]

7. [...] read Michael Czysz’s blog post on the topic, where he explains why it’s better to have a bike built like a Kardashian… The MotoCzysz bikes ready for [...]

8. [...] Michael Rutter was the first rider to break the ton on an electric motorcycle at the Isle of Man, registering an average speed of 102.5 mph in the first and only TT Zero practice over the 37 mile course on the all-new MotoCzysz machine. This feat took the gas-powered bikes 50 years to accomplish. The electric bikes, specifically MotoCzysz, have done it in 4 years. Last year (Czysz’s first with two bikes) they took first and second place, the year before they won first place, and in the inaugural year, they DNF’ed. In the photo below, note the attention to aerodynamics, then read Michael Czysz’s blog post on the topic, where he explains why it’s better to have a bike built like a Kardashian… [...]

9. DaveD says:

Great blog Michael, and congratulations on that practice run today!!! 102.5 mph!!!!

10. Hugo says:

The F1 push-rod style twin shock is a cool system but did you guys ever see our post made in 2007?
    http://bottpower.com/eng/?p=3
    We were working on such a system in 2002/2003 but at that time we didn’t think it would work with an airbox, etc. Offcourse an electric bike doesn’t need an airbox;) Great job and great bike…any idea what the Cd of the bike is?

11. [...] five year’s time or so, everyone will be racing these.Q: So it’s a new bike and I saw your blog post about the aerodynamics, so why don’t we start there.A: We had to look for the areas that [...]

12. ludofrenchalpes says:

BRAVO ! BRAVO ! BRAVO ! 104 fois bravo à tous & toutes de votre firme , ainsi que les anges sur vos épaule ;) VOUS AVEZ LA MAIN ! merci pour ces émotions :)

13. ludofrenchalpes says:

arghhhh , BIG torque !!! : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19MkFm8_tPM

14. ludofrenchalpes says:

mais ceci est le plus simple ;) zéro à 30.20 & top à 39.00 !!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=WYQLfXOREkM

15. ludofrenchalpes says:

un “e-shop”pour porter vos couleurs & partenaires sera peut être de retour ? je désire une veste Motoczysz racing taille médium
    faire offre !! je suis preneur ;)

16. Hi, I do think this is a great website. I stumbledupon it ;) I’m going to come back once again since i have book marked it. Money and freedom is the best way to change, may you be rich and continue to guide others.

17. If you are going for most excellent contents like myself, only go to see this site daily because it
    presents quality contents, thanks

18. Auto Rack says:

GREAT read, Michael…

19. You could possibly certainly visit your interest from the work you’re writing. The planet hopes for much more fervent writers such as you that aren’t worried to talk about how they feel. All the time stick to your own coronary heart.

20. Howdy would you minhd letting me know which web
    hosst you’re utilizing? I’ve loaded your blog in 3 different browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most.
    Can you suggest a good internet hosting provider at a reasonnable price?
    Cheers, I appreciate it!

A related article like your:http://lazythinformula.wordpress.com/lazythinformula/

21. H 9690 says:

It may also come in handy if an important service message
    needs to be done again and experts must be hired for this purpose.
    The telephone solutions that many small businesses.
    With a stock phone phone system monitoring software scheme, you be subjected
    to to grip the tools required for communication.
    In other words, it can be program for all offices to ring when a call comes in to
    phone system monitoring software play.

Leave a Reply